Green tea, made from the leaves of Camellia sinensis, is known to have been consumed by the people of China and other eastern countries for centuries to gain good health and longevity. It’s only recently that Westerners who are habitual to the black tea, have woken up to its amazing health benefits and have started replacing their regular tea with this magical eastern tea. And it’s not just green tea which is known for its wondrous benefits, its extracts, oil and pills are equally beneficial too. Let’s have a look at their benefits.
- Green tea is good for a number of reasons. It helps in lowering the bad cholesterol and at the same time aids in increasing the good cholesterol levels in the body.
- It regulates the blood pressure. It helps in reducing the high blood pressure.
- Drinking green tea helps in protecting the liver from various toxins in the body.
- Green tea makes the immune system strong. It is also known to have antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- It prevents the formation of plaque on the teeth, thus keeping the oral health intact.
- Most of the heart attacks and strokes are caused when blood clots develop. Drinking green tea regularly stops the development of clots and thus, saves many a heart attacks.
- It keeps the blood sugar levels in check. That’s why it is very beneficial for people who suffer from diabetes.
- Intake of green tea has a soothing effect on the mind. It has a calming effect on people who suffer from stress, anxiety or depression.
- It makes the metabolic processes in the body faster and aids in weight loss.
- It is believed that green tea is rich in antioxidants known as catechins, which help in preventing cancers of the colon, pancreas, stomach, rectal, esophagus and bladder.
Green Tea Oil
Green tea oil is basically made from the extracts of the tea. Once its obtained, it is mixed with an oil base. This oil is used in various skin care products, perfumes and candles. Application of green tea oil on the skin helps in making the skin soft and shiny. It is a natural moisturizer and thus keeps the skin glowing. It is also known to have a healing effect on the skin. Skin which is very sensitive or is irritated or has minor cuts and bruises or even rashes, can benefit a lot by its regular application.
Green Tea Extract
- This extract consists of bioflavonoid and thus, helps in protecting against infections of the digestive tract as well as the respiratory system.
- Certain researches show that green tea extracts have the ability to prevent failure of liver transplants in people.
- It keeps the hormones of the body stabilized and thus, helps in treating acne.
- Green tea extract is rich in EGCG, an antioxidant which protects the body against many diseases including stomach, colon and pancreatic cancer.
- It keeps the blood pressure in control, lowers cholesterol and has anti bacterial properties too.
- Strengthens the immune system and thus keeps many diseases and infections at bay.
- Green tea extracts increase the energy expenditure of the body and also helps in fat oxidization, thus contributing immensely to weight loss.
Green Tea Pills
These pills are nothing but supplements. They provide almost identical health benefits as green tea does and that too without the hassle of preparing tea. A single pill contains about 250 – 500 mg of the green tea extract. The most important health benefit of these pills is that they aid in weight loss. These pills speed up the metabolic processes and thus aid in faster burning of calories. Researches have shown that green tea pills make thermogenesis faster i.e., the fat burning process in the body, thus causing weight loss. Green tea pills help in protecting against cancers and heart problems. They reduce cholesterol, have antibacterial properties and make the bones strong. By boosting the immune system, green tea pills help in preventing infections and diseases in the body.
Before including green tea in your diet, one thing you need to know about is its caffeine content. If it is taken in excess it can produce the same side effects as caffeine does i.e. headache, irritability, insomnia, heart palpitations, etc. To avoid these, you can go in for the decaffeinated version of the green tea and enjoy its health benefits without a worry.