by Sandy Jarvis
(Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA)
There are many simple steps that anyone can do to help save energy around the home.
On this site you will find hundreds of helpful articles and online resources to help you find the best ways to make your home more energy efficient, and save money at the same time.
Below are some simple suggestions to get you started with these energy saving tips.
• Set your thermostat comfortably low in the winter and comfortably high in the summer.
Install a programmable thermostat that is compatible with your heating system.
• Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
• Air dry your dishes instead of using your dishwasher’s drying cycle.
• Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
• Plug home electronics such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use (TVs and DVDs in standby mode still use several watts of power).
• Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120° F.
• Take short showers instead of baths.
• Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
• Always look for the ENERGY STAR® label on home appliances and products.
ENERGY STAR products meet strict efficiency guidelines set by the U.S.Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
Click here to read more about ways to make your home energy efficient