“I’d put my money on the Sun and Solar Energy, what a source of Power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out, before we tackle that.” ~ Thomas Edison
I guess no one really remembered what Thomas Edison quoted years ago! Today we are suffering from a situation wherein we have to pay high prices for gas and diesel because these resources are getting depleted at a much faster rate than they are consumed! Although, people are switching to renewable energy sources like solar energy, however, it is still not enough! As we all know, solar power is the production of electricity using the heat generated from the sunlight. With people trying hard enough to reduce global warming, they are looking for various ways through which energy can be saved and global warming can be controlled. Using solar energy in this case, seems to solve a lot of issues, which is why more and more people are trying to know about the effectiveness of solar energy. If you are one of them, then reading this article further would help you understand why using solar energy is better not only for saving the earth, but also saving your expenses in the long run. As different people consider different things before adapting a new technique, we shall discuss both the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy.
Advantages of Solar Power
Like every coin has two sides, so does solar power! The best advantage is that it is renewable. Meaning you can harness it once, and use it again and again over a period of time…, and the best part is that you don’t have to pay to the sun every time for shining on you! 🙂 Have a look at the benefits mentioned below.
- Solar power can be used at any part of the world where there is sunlight. Therefore, even the remote parts of the world like the mountain regions, where electricity cannot be generated otherwise, can use solar energy to generate electricity.
- You don’t need a utility connection and pay the utility bills to them for electricity. Once you have installed the solar power, you can avail its benefits without having to worry about the utility bills or power outage.
- People are switching to using solar power because it does not cause pollution while generating electricity. Unlike the conventional electricity production which releases carbon dioxide, mercury, and other harmful gases like nitrous oxide and sulfur dioxide; using solar power for generating electricity is a good option to control pollution.
- Solar power also gives you long-term financial advantages as it is the initial investment only that you should be worried about. Once the solar installation is done, you can use electricity without any further costs and expenses.
- Solar energy is used not only for heating purposes, there are many solar appliances that can be used for additional purposes like cooking and operating various other appliances, both at work and home.
- Unlike other sources of generating electricity, which end up generating more noise than electricity, you can be assured that a solar power system would do its work quietly without any worries about noise, harmful gases, and fumes. You also don’t have to worry about changing their parts every now and then. Once you have installed a solar power system, all you need to do is relax!
Disadvantages of Solar Power
After discussing the pros of solar power, you must also be aware of the disadvantages of solar energy. We have had a look at the benefits so far, let us have a look at the solar power drawbacks now!
- If you are looking for short-term benefits instead of long-term, then installing a solar power system could prove to be costlier than the ‘standard’ source of generating electricity! This can be due to the installation of solar panels which can be very expensive.
- Solar power can be used only where there is abundance of sunlight. If you live in an area where there is hardly any sunlight, then solar power isn’t a good option for you.
- The solar panels may contain toxic elements like lead, which can prove to be harmful to the health.
- The solar panels consists of photo voltaic cells. These cells can get affected by the pollution in the environment or overexposure to the sunlight. This can reduce the efficiency and effectiveness of the solar power system.
After taking these facts into consideration only, should one decide whether installing a solar power system for your home is beneficial for you or not. However, I, personally believe, that saving earth should be our prime focus at this point of time before it’s too late, and every one should contribute their bit. What will human do with luxuries, if the earth won’t be clean enough for them to live a healthy life? I am sure after reading this write-up, you will think about it!