by Harriet Bond
(San Francisco, CA, USA)
Easy ways on how you could save energy right at your own home….more often than not, people often think about saving energy at home yet they do not really know how to go about it!.
They assume that they have to spend a lot of money and allocate a considerable amount of effort in order to have an energy-efficient home. But saving energy does not have to be expensive or time consuming. There are actually low-cost to no-cost ways on how to be energy-efficient and these are some of them.
1. When buying light bulbs, choose the compact fluorescent type. Also, see to it that it also has the energy-saving or Energy Star logo on the label as well.
2. Buy the thermostat that you can easily program. With the new models of the programmable thermostats, you can easily create a comfortable temperature inside you house whether it is winter or summer.
3. Instead of using the dish dryer, simply air dry your dishes or have someone in the family do the chore of wiping the dishes with clean rag before storing.
4. If the computer is not in use, turn it off. See to it that you also turn off the monitor as well and unplug everything after use.
5. Do not let your DVD, TV, and other appliances stay on the Stand-By mode. Just like your computer, unplug the appliances as well. Many homes have the habit of leaving their appliances in the Stand-By mode. Little do they know that it still consumes a lot of power which adds up to your utility bill at the same time.
6. During the winter, when you are in need of hot water, you can lower the temperature on your thermostat down to 120 degree Fahrenheit.
7. Short showers are actually better instead of having a long bath. Making a few minor bathroom improvements, such as installing a low flow shower head make showers an even better choice, saving even a little bit of water when you factor in everyday showering can ad up to saving money in the long run.
8. Use the washing machine only if you have a lot of dirty clothes to laundry. Learn how to hand-wash your clothes if you would only clean few pieces of clothes.
9. The same goes for the dishwasher. Only use this kitchen appliance if you have a lot of dishes to clean.
10. When driving, do not step on the gas and accelerate rapidly. Not only that it may result to accident but it also wastes gasoline at the same time.
11. Take advantage of the natural ventilation in your area.