by Fran Connors
We all know how much of a headache bills can be. We all hate going to the mailbox, only to find a heap of bills waiting for us.
There’s nothing more painful than paying for utilities. It seems that when we receive electricity bills, we are always surprised at how much energy we consume.
However high our house energy bills are, we see them as something we have to endure. After all, we all need to pay for our electricity, right?
So whenever we see those high energy bills, we react with resignation, dig deep into our pockets and pay whatever the electric companies demand.
What you need to know is that there are ways to lower those house energy bills. There are a lot of simple and practical ways to conserve energy. By using these methods, you can significantly lower your house energy bill.
First of all, you need to realize that all the little things matter. You need to understand that there are a lot of small things we do that are wasteful of house energy.
Some of these little wasteful habits may seem insignificant, but if they are combined, they might amount up to one third of your house energy bill.
Here are some of the habits which can cost you a lot.
1) Leaving the refrigerator door open – Some people may not see this habit as something that would significantly affect their energy bill. However, given the right information, you will see that this habit can actually cost you a lot of money.
You see, a refrigerator works by absorbing the heat within the compartment. If you open the refrigerator door, you let heat enter the system, which means that the refrigerator needs to consume more electricity in order to lower the temperature.
By leaving the refrigerator door open, you are essentially trying to absorb all of the heat energy in the house.
Oh, yes, If you still do not know, the little light does go off when you close the refrigerator door so don’t waste energy by trying to find out.
2) Leaving the lights on – This is a very common mistake made by every household in the world. Most people forget to turn off their lights and these lights consume electricity.
Sure, one light turned on may not consume much house energy, but what if all your lights were left on? Surely, this would cost you a lot on your electricity bill.
If you can, you might want to open up your shades and let the sun shine into your life. Some people actually tend to draw their shades and then turn on their lights, what’s more wasteful than rejecting free energy?
If you can’t help forgetting to turn the lights off, you may want to consider buying some energy-saving lamps. These lights may cost you more when you first buy them, but these are guaranteed to save you a lot on house energy in the long term.
By investing in these lights, you will be able to cut a lot off your house energy bill.
3) Playing with the thermostat – People hate being bored. However, please do not try and ease your boredom by turning the temperature up and down.
Whenever you get the urge to adjust your thermostat, ask yourself this question: am I feeling uncomfortable because of the temperature or is it all in my head?
The same advice goes for air conditioners. Sometimes, people blame their discomfort on the temperature. However, you need to be honest with yourself and leave the thermostat alone, ok?
Here are some things you should do to conserve house energy:
1) Try to look for alternatives – In order to save on your house energy, try to look at alternative energy options. You see, there are a lot of different home alternative energy devices available in the market today. These devices can actually support small home appliances by supplying them with free energy.
2) Try to look for energy-saving devices – There are a lot of devices available today that can maximize your house energy efficiency.
These devices often only require you to plug them into a socket and they monitor your energy consumption. These ensure that no energy is wastes when you are operating your house appliances.
For now, these may cost you a pretty penny, but as the technology continues to develop, expect prices to drop significantly.
Click here to read more about energy saving tips