by Harvey Bond
(Manly Beach, Sydney, Australia)
Among all these appliances, AC units (air conditioning) are the most electricity consuming devices. And this is the very reason you need to learn how to save money through conserving energy in using air conditioning units.
Although you don't want to buy one, you just have to or else you might be a victim of heat stroke or more expenses due to the computer overheating and other damages to your home appliances due to overheating.
Here are some tips on how you can save electricity while keeping yourself sane and safe from the heat of the summer:
- In buying an AC unit, check if it has the Energy Star label. This label assures that the AC unit is energy efficient. And an energy efficient air conditioning unit translates to saving you more money.
- Avoid installing your air conditioner where there's direct sunlight. Your AC unit will use more energy if it's placed where direct sunlight is. Use tall plants or an awning at least, to avoid exposing your AC unit to sunlight.
- Don't install your AC unit near appliances that emits heat such as irons, TV, computer and refrigerator.
- Keep the AC unit to fan setting first for about 10 to 15 minutes before using it's cooling setting to get rid of the hot air from the vicinity of the AC unit.
- Keep all the windows and doors close while the air condition unit is operating. This is to avoid the AC unit from overworking. Make sure that you get all your things that you need inside before you start working. This is so you don't have to keep on opening and closing the door letting the cool air out every so often.
- If you can, make sure that the AC unit isn't used during the hottest times of the day, usually from 11 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. Run it full blast when it's not too hot and lower it's cooling setting or switch it off during the aforementioned times of the day.
- Get a cleaning service and get it checked by a professional ACmaintenance guy at least every 6 months to keep the air conditioning unit in its best form.
Click here to read more about energy saving tips