Regardless of the type of home you live in, there are ways to improve your home to make it more efficient. With a few tweaks here and there, houses, both new and old, can be improved and can save homeowners a considerable amount of money each year. Think about how much money you spend on energy services each year:
• Do you think there are actions you could take to reduce energy consumption and your electricity bill?
• Do you know of any issues related to your home that you need to address but have yet to?
• Do you know how much money per year you could save by simply making a few small changes in your home?
• Do you know what steps to take to make your home more efficient?
Homeowners can easily find all the answers to these questions through a home energy audit. While some will advocate that you can do it yourself, it is best to leave it to the professionals. You may be able to do the basic quick fixes around the house, but the professionals will find the best methods to improve your homes efficiency.
For most homes, an energy audit will be the first step in the sustainability journey. And, the truth is that every home should have an energy audit. The results of the audit could make a huge difference in your utility bills.
How does an energy audit work?
An energy audit on your home involves going over it in detail in search of energy inefficiencies. Home energy service companies will conduct a comprehensive assessment with the aid of diagnostic instruments to identify potential areas for improvement. An energy audit can take between 2-6 hours depending on the size of your home and the issues that are discovered. Some of the assessments include:
• An inspection of all relevant equipment and appliances
• An analysis of your utility bills
• An Assessment of the building envelope’s heat transfer and air flow
• An Analysis of the impact of occupancy, use, and weather on the building
• An Inspection of all windows, doors, and other fenestration
Once the assessment is completed, home energy service companies will perform an analysis of the data they have collected and create a report of their findings. Based on these findings, a customized
sustainability project plan will be developed for your home. This plan will take into account your budget, needs, and specifics related to your home.
Advantages of getting a home energy audit
There are a number of advantages to having an energy audit performed on your home:
• You could become eligible for tax rebates and financial incentives to aid with installation of green solutions for your home.
• You could considerably decrease your energy bill
• You’ll receive professional recommendations on how to increase your home’s efficiency
• Improving your home’s energy inefficiencies will pay for itself relatively quickly