Installing a new carpet is expensive. As such, it becomes very important to maintain it, and make it last as long as possible with some carpet cleaning tips and tricks. An unclean carpet can begin to house mold, bugs, and other allergens that can lead to a lot of health problems. Even walking on the carpet with shoes, brings in dirt, which can collect in the carpet and shorten its life. To keep your home looking fresh and new, take a look at these tips on carpet cleaning and maintenance.
Tips for Carpet Cleaning
The proverb, ‘prevention is better than cure’ applies to all aspects of life, even carpet cleaning. Preventing a huge stain mishap or a unnecessary dirt collection is the key to prolonging the freshness and overall life of the carpet. However, if the damage has already been done, keep these tips in mind.
- Vacuum your carpet, at least, every alternate day, in order to keep it dust and bug free. Then, in case, there is a stain, you will only have to deal with it, and not other collected dust and dirt, which may surface in the process of carpet stain removal.
- Identify the material your carpet is made of (wool, silk, cotton and other fibers), before opting for different products and methods to clean it. Each product for each type of carpet is different, and using the wrong one may permanently damage your carpet.
- Carpet cleaning is not only about wetting a stain, rubbing it, and allowing it to dry. Several products and methods are required for effective stain removal.
- Try to prevent spillage, but if there is any, ensure that you clean it as soon as possible. If it is done immediately, just using water will help. If that does not help, you will have to use a good carpet cleaning product, one that is suited for your carpet type and the type of stain on the carpet. You can also use your own homemade carpet cleaners and use them for effective stain removal.
- In the process of carpet stain removal, don’t try to scrub the carpet vigorously as it can damage the fibers. The stain can spread further, and in some cases, become permanent patch on the carpet.
- In some cases, a stain may be temporarily eliminated, but resurface later. Place a cloth on the stain overnight, which will absorb it, and follow the carpet cleaning process, in order to avoid such a situation.
- Never use a carpet cleaning product to coat a stain on the carpet. This will make the stain tougher to eliminate, and retain all the dirt. If the stain does not go, just leave it for your next cleaning session.
- If you are using a commercial carpet cleaning product, ensure that you read the instructions before you go ahead and clean the carpet. Using a very mild carpet shampoo for regular care is a good way of keeping the carpet clean. The reason is, it is not easy to remove the carpet shampoo residue completely. This makes the carpet sticky and enables dust and dirt to stick to the carpet, resulting in several health hazards.
- Also, do not wet the carpet too much while cleaning. This can cause the carpet to shrink. It will take longer to dry, and walking on a wet carpet is a clear invitation to more dirt collection.
- To remove mold and mildew, clean with a solution of non-chlorine bleach, and salt. This solution is also suitable for colored carpets.
- Steam clean the carpet once in a while to thoroughly eliminate collected dust and dirt. You can do this by hiring home steam carpet cleaners, whenever required.
- Do not use steam cleaning for a wool carpet as this will damage its fibers.
The best way to prevent the collection of dirt on your carpet is to place an entrance mat outside your house. That way, you can ensure that people dust their feet outside, and bring in minimal dust and dirt. As mentioned before, installing a carpet is expensive, so the better you maintain it, the longer it will last, and the entire expense will be completely worth it.